Comforting a baby who suffers from a skin problem can be very hard. You want to make sure that you don’t further irritate the problem, but also want to make sure that the baby feels comforted. This blog is broken down into some tips that will help you with soothing your baby.
Parents are often plagued with difficulties in caring for their babies. It’s not an easy job as babies are very fragile and delicate. They have to be constantly monitored and cared for. A skin problem can also lead to appearance insecurities if not handled sensitively. It is important to understand that as parents it is your duty to make sure your little one learns to love themselves as they are. When it comes to comforting, it not only means treating the problem but also accepting it.
Unfortunately, babies don’t have a proper set of words to describe what is their issue or how it is affecting them. As parents, we definitely try to do our best to understand what is going on with our little ones. Here are a few more detailed ways how you can help your child.
Try to understand the pattern and how your baby reacts to each step you take.
- Avoid long, hot baths, which can dry the skin. Short, daily baths in lukewarm water are recommended
- Apply moisturizing cream with ceramides right after bathing or showering This step will help trap moisture in the skin.
- Use moisturizers often, at least twice daily. Thick creams work better than lotions.
- Keep the room temperature as regular as possible. Changes in room temperature and humidity can dry the skin.
- Keep your child dressed in cotton. Wool, silk, and man-made fabrics such as polyester can irritate the skin.
- Use mild laundry soap without fragrance and dyes and make sure that clothes are well rinsed.
- Watch for skin infections, which are more likely with eczema. Contact your healthcare provider if you notice an infection.
- Avoid rubbing or scratching the rash.
Not all skin conditions are the same so not all solutions could benefit, you have to constantly make sure you are in contact with your doctor at all times and following the regime that is best suited for your child.
Treating the skin problem is the first step but there are also a lot of other things to consider and which parents can inculcate in their process.
Loose clothes are your best friends.
When your baby has a skin issue they are already suffering too much so to make sure your baby is comfortable and that can be done when you keep the clothing loose and if the temperature allows you then no clothing is the best. This will keep your baby’s skin from rubbing the clothing so that there is no further overheating or damage to the already tender skin.
Avoid Irritating Your Baby’s Skin Rash
Although this goes without saying, but to make your baby more comfortable don’t irritate the skin any further. The ways that you can avoid bothering the baby’s skin, follow these steps :
Avoid sunlight as the sun’s UV rays can further dry the skin and increase the rash or irritations.
Avoid rubbing, stretching, or scratching the area at all costs. You have to be extremely gentle with the rash itself, let alone the area.
During the bath, always use mild cleaners like the one offered by Sandawha – Bath, and shampoo. After bath apply soothing and refreshing creams – Sandawha Baby lotion. This helps your baby to have long-lasting hydrated skin with no chemicals. This will help the rash go away with all-natural ingredients.
These three basic steps will go a long way toward keeping your baby comfortable while they recover from their skin rash.